Italy

PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT : CICAPLAST BAUME B5






When it comes to moisturizer, I'm glad that I have found my holy grail - the La Roche Posay Cicaplast Baume B5.

I used to work as a pharmacist and I have always recommended this multi-purpose balm for nappy rash, as a post-laser cream, or even for sunburned skin. 

I started using Cicaplast myself as a moisturizer when I had a massive purging from using BHA and AHA too often. I wanted a plain old thick moisturizer but for some reason, I came to the decision that I would try it and it didn't disappoint. It calmed my skin within minutes of application. I have loved it ever since.

Cicaplast Baume B5 is from La Roche Posay, a French pharmacy brand offering products suitable for sensitive skin. Similar to other French pharmacy brands, their "cica" line is targeted for those with irritated skin. Cicaplast Baume B5 is a multi-purpose balm that claims to soothe inflamed and irritated skin and helps to repair it. It can be applied on the body, face and even on the lips. It is also suitable for all ages including babies. 

INGREDIENTS

What makes this product special?

1. Panthenol

High up on the ingredient list is panthenol aka provitamin B5.

A provitamin is actually an inactive vitamin. It needs to be converted inside a living organism for it to become useful for the body. 

Once panthenol penetrates the skin, it gets converted to vitamin B5 aka pantothenic acid which has a variety of involvement in different body processes like energy production, fat breakdown, and protein synthesis. Skinwise, it promotes wound healing, maintains the skin barrier's function and has an antioxidant activity. Several studies have also been conducted showing its role in the improvement of acne but it is not recognized officially as a treatment.

Panthenol, the inactive form, is not useless in itself. It is actually a humectant. It has the ability to attract and retain water which in turn helps to keep the skin moisturized.

2. Madecassoside 

It is a trendy skincare ingredient right now. It is one of the four bioactive compounds that is extracted from the medicinal plant Centella asiatica. It has several properties that make it the perfect botanic extract to treat any type of skin irritation.

It has an anti-redness, anti-itchy, and anti-inflammatory effect. The plant itself is used in traditional medicine for the treatment of burns, eczema, scratches, and small wounds. 

3. Copper-Zinc-Manganese

Copper is a known anti-aging element. It plays a vital role in the production of elastin and collagen which gives our skin bounce and elasticity. It also fights free radical and also has a significant role in wound healing.

Zinc is commonly used for the treatment of burns or diaper rash in the form of zinc oxide cream. What it does is, it protects the irritated/burned skin from external irritants by providing a temporary barrier over the damaged skin. It also enhances the migration of a type of skin cell (keratinocytes) to the wound to cover it up and restore its normal function.

Manganese helps skin functions by supporting collagen production and fighting free radicals.


INGREDIENT ANALYSIS

COSDNA analysis suggests that this product has a very low risk of triggering irritation which is why it is perfect for those who have sensitive skin.

The formulation is paraben-free, fragrance-free, and alcohol-free.


APPLICATION, FEEL AND SCENT



The balm is odorless and has a thick consistency. It looks pasty at first but it spreads easily and feels almost buttery. It sinks in beautifully into the skin leaving it soft and bouncy. And you'll almost feel like it seals everything in like an occlusive but without the suffocating feeling.

I can attest to its claim that it is soothing because whenever I'll have an angry pimple (and it has happened often), I will use Cicaplast as I use it normally and upon application, the feeling of throbbing will subside and the pimple would look less red. It gives a little bit of a white cast though and looks dewy if you don't powder or put a mattifying product on top.


HOW I USE IT

I use it as a moisturizer in the morning and night after applying my serums/essences. It layers beautifully with my foundation. At night, especially during now that it's colder, I apply a sleeping mask on top of it and seal everything with jojoba oil. 

I also apply it at the back of my ears because they tend to be drier during the autumn/winter season.


PRICE AND WHERE TO BUY

It costs around EUR 10 for a 40mL tube and around EUR 15 for a 100mL tube. 

It is available in any pharmacy here in Europe or you can purchase them on Amazon.



PROS VS. CONS


FINAL THOUGHTS

As I've said, the Cicaplast Baume B5 is my holy grail moisturizer. I have combination to oily skin, sometimes dehydrated, and I find it suitable for my skin's need especially during the colder seasons. Also, I use acid every day and it just pairs very well with it. It gives me that moisture and soothing effect that my skin needs after acid application.

I highly recommend this moisturizer. Having been used the product for years, I think the panthenol and madecassoside are the perfect pair of ingredient to have in a moisturizer. They perfectly complement each other providing relief and moisture. I have and I will definitely repurchase this. I'm actually on my 4th or 5th tube already.
I think all skin types would benefit from it but unfortunately, we all react to things differently. It's always best practice to patch test on a small skin area before diving in and applying a product on the whole face.









Comments

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove)